March 14, 2017

A few thoughts...

So, I'm currently staring at my foam mock-up of Rey's belt, trying to figure it out before I transfer it over to leather, and needed a break, so here I am.

A couple of Saturdays back, Josh and I were invited to join an armor party with our local garrison. It's pretty self-explanatory, but for those who don't know, an armor party is a get together where everyone works on their different costumes, and get help if they need it. We had no idea what to expect, and if I'm honest, I was a little worried about whether or not we would fit in. Sure, we're super fun and cool people (*eye roll*), but you just never know!

When we arrived at Colin and Audra's house, they graciously invited us into their beautiful home and showed us what, in my humble opinion, was the coolest basement I've ever been in/seen. Josh and I like us some Star Wars, but compared to Colin, the term "newb" doesn't even seem adequate.

I got some good information on the direction of my Rey cosplay, and as of yesterday, thanks to Jesse, I have the last piece of clothing that I needed (arm wraps), as well as the Alice clip for my satchel. On a less-than-stellar note, I did find out that my blaster is smaller than it needs to be. I'm glad that I brought it though, instead of spending a bunch of time making it perfect, only to find out it's too small. That being said, I still plan on fixing it up and working on it, just as sort of a practice piece, so it's not a total loss.

Josh decided after speaking to several members, that Jango will be going on the back burner for the foreseeable future. It seems like Jango, along with Boba, are great when they're approved, but getting to that point takes a lot of time, effort, and money.

We met so many people, and I know it'll take a few meet-ups before we remember everyone's names, but these people were so unconditionally nice. I won't speak for Josh, but I felt awkward at times, I wanted to get to know everyone that was there, but I also didn't want to get in their way, we were, after all, at an armor party, people were a bit busy.

It was definitely a great experience. I am so excited to be finishing up my Rey costume so I can finally be apart of this amazing group!

No comments:

Post a Comment