September 22, 2013

It's the first day of autumn!


This is one of my favorite days of the year. Our morning started out super foggy, but quickly became a beautiful FALL day. Last year I made apple chips, this year I'm celebrating with an apple-honey dutch baby. Have you heard of these? I was flipping through an old Taste of Home cookbook, looking for a fun apple recipe when I spotted this one. What is a dutch baby? It's basically a pancake, sometimes they're called German pancakes, how perfect is that?!


Ingredients:
PANCAKE:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
3 eggs
3/4 cup milk (I used lacto-free milk to make it dairy free)
2 tablespoons coconut oil
TOPPING:
3 large apples, sliced
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/2 cup honey
2-3 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons cold water

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, eggs, and milk until smooth. Place coconut oil in a 10-inch dutch oven, and heat in oven for 3-4 minutes or until oil has melted; tilt pan to coat bottom and sides (I used a pastry brush for the sides). Pour batter into hot skillet. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
While the pancake is baking, saute apples in a saucepan with coconut oil until lightly browned. Stir in honey, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; add to apple mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Spoon into pancake. Serve immediately.

Now, I haven't figured out the prettiest way to get the Dutch baby to a bowl, but as ugly as it is in my bowl, it's darn tasty!


No comments:

Post a Comment