May 7, 2013

Baked Chicken Chimichangas

Saturday, Josh and I spent some quality time watching Star Wars episode IV. We also went bowling because Josh got some new bowling shoes that he was wanting to try out (they were a belated birthday gift from my folks). While we were at the bowling alley I got a new ball...again. I had been bowling with a ball that was too light for me and therefore cracked. I now have a proper ball! We went bowling again Sunday so I could try out my new ball (we were done bowling by the time my ball was ready on Saturday).
Since Sunday was Cinco de Mayo, we decided to make baked chimichangas. I wasn't sure how they would come out. These chimi's didn't disappoint, and they aren't spicy or fried-double perk in my book. I'm a huge wimp when it comes to spicy food. You can toss some salsa on top to give it a little zip if that's your preference.

When Josh and I cook something, the length of time it takes to make is just as important as how it comes out. If it takes too long to prepare or cook (or both) and it's merely okay, it'll probably get labeled as a one time wonder. This is a supper we will repeat again, no doubt. This recipe took us less than 30 minutes to make and assemble...you can't beat that!


Baked Chicken Chimichangas
8oz pkg. cream cheese, softened
8oz. pepper jack cheese, shredded
1 packet taco seasoning
1 lb. cooked chicken
8 flour tortillas, warmed (I microwaved them about 15 seconds)
Olive Oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat about a tablespoon of oil in a skillet. Coarsely chop up the chicken (it makes it a little easier to crumble) and add to the skillet. Using a potato masher (it really works-thanks Rachael Ray) or spring for a Mix 'N Chop from Pampered Chef. Mash, chop, crumble or what have you, until your chicken is cooked. In a medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, pepper jack cheese, and taco seasoning. Divide cheese and taco seasoning mixture evenly among the tortilla shells. Tuck in the sides, and roll up each tortilla. Lay seam side down in a greased 9"x13" baking dish. Brush on additional olive oil to the tops. Bake for 15 minutes, flip, bake another 15 minutes. Served naked or with cheddar cheese, green onions, sour cream, and salsa. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment