November 24, 2012

Carrot Puree

Tomorrow will mark Cole's half birthday. I can't believe he's going to be 6 months old. Man, time flies! To be honest, I'm a little sad that he's getting so big, so fast. He's always been a big baby, but now he's at a point where he's seeing us enjoying our food, and wants to join in the fun as well.

I've been able to exclusively breastfeed for almost 6 months, and I'm pretty proud of myself! As much as I had hoped to go the full 6 months, my sweet babe decided otherwise. Josh and I successfully introduced rice cereal, and on Thanksgiving Coleden ate some sweet potatoes (from the jar), but I wanted to try my hand at some homemade baby food.

It's really not difficult at all, and is kind of a fun process. Best of all, I made it with fresh carrots, so no preservatives, and it was pretty tasty-bonus!


1. Peel and cut carrots into small chunks.
2. Place carrots in a steamer* and steam until tender. Don't reserve any of the water from the steamer for thinning out the carrots because nitrates may seep into the cooking water.
3. Toss into the blender (or your choice of pureeing machine)
4. Add water as necessary to achieve smooth, thin consistency.

*I don't have a steamer, and if you don't either, don't sweat it. Grab a pot, fill it with water (about 1/3 full), place a colander on it, throw your carrots in the colander and place the pot's lid on top of it, boil the water and voila! Steamed carrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment