November 1, 2012

Baked Sweet Potato Fries

Once a month I receive $10 from the W.I.C. Overseas Program for fresh produce. I like using that check to try new recipes. I figure if it doesn't go well, I'm not out any money! I was flipping through an old Food Network Magazine, and saw a recipe for baked sweet potato fries by Paula Deen. I've never tried them, so why not give it a shot. They were better than I could've dreamed. If you haven't tried them, you really need to, you won't regret it!



If you want a lot of fries then I'd recommend following Paula Deen's
recipe, but if you only plan to make it for yourself I'd scale it back to just one good sized sweet potato. I decided to get a little creative and substituted cumin for the garlic powder in Paula's house seasoning. 

Ingredients:

At least one sweet potato per person
2 or 3 tablespoons of olive oil
Flour to coat (optional)
Salt & pepper 
Cumin, garlic powder, paprika, curry powder (really whatever you like to give the fries a little extra zip)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 450°. Peel the sweet potatoes and slice them up into fry-shaped pieces. Try and make them roughly the same size, they'll cook more evenly that way. If you've never sliced up a sweet potato, have patience. This was my first time doing anything with sweet potatoes and patience was something I was running short on. Those suckers can be tough to cut!
After you've got them cut up throw them in a zip-lock bag, add the olive oil, and spices give it a good shake.   
Once you've got a good coating on them, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Arrange them so there's only a single layer (they'll crisp up much better).
Bake for 15-20 minutes, flip the fries, continue to bake another 15-20 minutes or until crispy. 
Let cool a moment and enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce! Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment